Meals on the Train
“Dinner in the diner, nothing could be finer”
– “Chattanooga Choo Choo” lyrics
In its heyday, the dining car (promoted as a 5-star restaurant on wheels) represented a rare treat since dining out was rare for most people.
With silver serving pieces, crisp table linens, etched crystal, and fresh flowers on the table, the dining car represented luxury, with signature dishes, such as:
- Texas & Pacific Cantaloupe Pie
- New York Central's Scallopines of Pork Tenderloin
- Great Norther's Baked Wenatchee Apple
- Southern’ s Pineapple Fritters
Recipes had to be easy, quick to prepare, require a minimum of cookware, and use fresh ingredients that could be restocked en route.