Post Offices & General Stores
Small town post offices of the early 20th century brokered in more than mail. They were the epicenter of the communities they served, often trading in local news, gossip, dry goods and even gasoline. The Yorklyn Post Office was no exception.
Appointed in 1873 as Yorklyn’s first postmaster, William S. Moore sold dry goods, groceries and hardware in addition to processing the area’s mail. Like Moore, Edward H. Dennison (Yorklyn’s third postmaster in 1887) also operated a country store that was at one time located near the railroad. Eventually, Grover C. Gregg Sr., who succeeded him as postmaster in 1915, opened yet another store, and throughout the early 20th century, the post office would move to different locations in the fibre and snuff mills, depending on who had been appointed postmaster.
In the 1920s, Samuel S. Dennison, paymaster for National Vulcanized Fibre, occupied a tiny office in the No. 1 Mill and replaced Gregg as postmaster, processing mail from there twice on weekdays and once on Saturday. Philip E. Touhey, in line to become superintendent of the snuff mill, was named postmaster, and the post office moved again, to a quaint brick building alongside the snuff mills. There it remained until Grover C. Gregg Jr., appointed to the role in 1949, moved it to Gregg’s store. Although the store closed in the 1980s, the post office remains in the old store building today.
Grover C. Gregg
Until 1969, the role of U.S. Postmaster was a political appointment, with those assigned to the role receiving presidential certificates after passing a postal exam. Woodrow Wilson appointed Grover C. Gregg Sr. as Yorklyn’s Postmaster in 1917, and Harry S. Truman bestowed the position on Gregg's son 33 years later.
Nicknamed “Junie” (short for Junior), Grover C. Gregg Jr. served as postmaster for 34 years (the longest tenure of any Yorklyn postmaster). An avid baseball fan like his father, Gregg played semi-pro ball while fulfilling his postal duties, becoming manager of the Yorklyn baseball club in 1956.